Monday, November 17, 2008

Remember the past, dont re-live it!

You really don’t know how much you love a person until their gone. But when their gone, we have to move on.
My grandfather died on November 27, 2002, it was the day before Thanksgiving and five days after his 66th birthday, which was Nov. 22. I was a freshman in college when he passed, he got up and drove me to school every morning and picked me up every evening. I couldn’t have asked for a better grandfather. His name was Winfield Akers Jr., his friends called him Pig.
That morning in Nov. was cold and dry. My phone rang and my grandmother’s name and number appeared on the caller ID, it was around 7am. I thought she was calling to tell me they (she and my grandfather) were on their way to pick me up for school. But instead I heard frantic sobbing and the words that stopped my heart for what seemed like eternity, “I think your daddy dead.” It was my grandmother, screaming and crying.
My grandfather was a very reserved yet friendly man. He was big in stature and in integrity. He loved his family and we loved him.
I know how hard the holidays can be for families who have lost loved ones or have loved ones that’s incarcerated or even both. And when going through these difficult times we tend to have regrets about what we coulda, shoulda and woulda did. While clinging to the dead we’re neglecting the living.
Understand that GOD don’t make no mistakes, so thank him for all that you have been through whether good or bad, happy or sad and know that if it don’t kill you it only makes you stronger. Your life was made uniquely for you and God don’t make no junk!
Let’s learn to let go of all past hurts, focus on the present and embrace the future.

No comments: